This morning Bella and I were outside in our front yard putting up some July decorations, when all of a sudden a semi-large dog ran into my house!! I screamed at Brian to get the dog before Jewels saw her. Jewels has a large dog syndrome and would probably try to attack, in her small Pomeranian ways. Anywho, Brian got the dog and dragged it back out the front door. When all of a sudden a red headed red faced 7 year old boy named Evan ran up trying to catch his dog. Sam was the dog and he was a young dog, he was fast!! Evan ran away trying to catch Sam. Then he came back by the house saying he was going to go home and tell his baby-sitter that Sam had runaway. Well about 2 seconds later Evan came back around our house crying! He had no idea where his house was. No idea what street it was on, no idea what his house looked like. So I begged Brian to get in my car, catch the dog and drive around to find Evan's house. That sounds easy, Right? Wrong! This poor kids, didn't know his phone number, really didn't know anything. I was feeling a bit defeated. Brian came back without the dog and he was going to look up Evan's folks on our HOA website. I jumped into the car to drive around looking for Sam, we found him by the swimming pool about 3 blocks from our home. Then Brian called me he found Evans home address! We thought. But No, again not so fast. Evan's folks had just divorced and his parents sold that house and his father moved to a new house in the same neighborhood, just a few streets down, JUST ONE WEEK AGO!! And his mother was in McKinney. He knew both his parents worked at a hospital. He thought his dad may be a doctor. We didn't know what else to do, 45 minutes later. So Brian called 911 non-emergency number. Told the lady what was going on and they send out 2 officers. When the first officer pulled up, so did Evan's uncle. They had been looking for him as we were looking for them. The uncle even drove by our house when Evan, dog Sam, Bella and I all sitting in the car. Just one amazing morning.
I was really thinking, I need my kids to know where they live from a very early age, I want them to know their phone number, I want them to know more about their surroundings than this poor Evan did. But once we put the pieces together, Evan had no chance of knowing anything that he didn't know before the divorce and his father moving. He couldn't have know where he lived in one week, he couldn't have know his phone number in one week. He couldn't have done any better than he did. He did great.
The police officer said we did the right thing by calling them. Brian wasn't sure if we should, but once we were stuck and had no other options, that is what we had to do. I think I learned a lot. One thing is to really get to know my neighbors more. Brian and I are very friendly people and so are our kids. So that won't be hard. My heart really broke for Evan. I'm sure he would have known where he lived in his other house, but with all that he and his 4 other siblings went through over the past few months, I'm sure they poor kids are a bit on edge. And then he got lost. The saddest/funnest part of this is they lived directly behind us about 2 homes down. Really, we share the alley, and are two houses from one another. But put a kid in a situation like that and they are bound to fall apart. The fear that sweet little Evan felt, I'm sure his heart was racing and his mind was rolling as 7 year old minds do. I'm sure he received a lot of love when he returned home. His uncle was shaken too, so I'm sure he'll have a story to tell his mom and dad when he sees them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that story.
I plan to take a few dozen cookies over this next weekend to introduce myself and see how Evan and Sam are doing. Sweet Evan, I hope his heart has stopped racing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
oh my gosh! i just read this post. poor little evan! luckily, i have it on good note that the corrs are pretty stinking good people, could you even imagine if someone else had found him?
Post a Comment