This past weekend was my mother's - father's family reunion. We all gathered in Weatherford at a great hall and enjoyed each other. It was great to see so many relatives and all the new additions. There were 7 (I think) new babies in attendance, and 8 new babies over the past year. And all but one were boys. Lots of love was spread around the family last year. My grandfather was there for a little while. He is 88 years old and for the majority of his life he never looked or acted his age. Until Saturday when I saw his thin little body, all his bones were pointing out. He looked his age. And for the first time ever I felt like he didn't know me. He is always so happy and excited to see me walk into the room, but when I walked up to him to say hello and show him Cooper, I wasn't sure he knew who I was. I was instantly sad. My grandfather has been the pillar of the family, he knows of only good and honest things and he is the most amazing man in the world. I have always looked up to him and wanted to marry a man who had/has the same characteristics (which I was blessed to do). I am most frightened to see him die. My mother will be completely beside herself, as will my sister and I. We adored my grandmother and I think we were all completely torn up when she died because our grandfather would be alone. But now that it is nearing time for him to go, it breaks my heart.
My mother took him to the doctor today, he fell twice at the nursing home this morning. So something isn't right. He 'has' cancer, but doesn't want to know it. But the doctor said the cancer has spread, therefore he's very sick and weak. All he does is lay in bed and watch TV and sleep. I'm so sad, when the phone rings, I think it's my mother to tell me he's passed. I know that call is coming, so I need to prepare myself. 88 years is an amazing time on this earth, he has seen so much of history. He is a very smart man and could tell you stories about anything and everything. But now he is just wasting away. The doctor put him in the hospital today, not exactly sure why, but I'm sure it has something to do with the fall and the cancer.
I pray that if he is in pain, or before he get in pain, the good Lord will take him and fast. Pop-Paw has seen his fair share of pain and now its time to let him meet Jesus. He'll be reunited with his wife, my Granny and one grandson, my brother. Bitter sweet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment