Monday, September 7, 2009

Choo Choo!!

All Aboard!!
Yesterday, Brian and I took the kids to Grapevine to ride the Grapevine Vintage Railroad train to the Fort Worth Stockyards and back.
It was a blast (but a beating at the same time!).
HUGE SIDE NOTE: We woke up Saturday morning and I jumped on the computer to look for something fun for us to do. I didn't want to sit at home all weekend and do nothing. So I looked at the train and showed Brian. He agreed and I booked the tickets. We got all ready SATURDAY and went to Grapevine all excited ready to ride the train. I booked the wrong day. OH MY GOD! Are you kidding me, my husband is going to kill me. Were my exact words to the lady at the ticket windows. There were completely sold out and could not let us ride that train, that day. So hanging my head low I went to tell Brian AND Isabella the awful news. Brian was very upset, but Isabella was more upset and very sad. Mother of the Year award goes to ME!
Onward, with my Sunday story!
We loaded the kids once again, headed to Grapevine to board the train. We arrived 30 minutes early and got on the train, grabbed our seats and started to enjoy our day. I packed a huge backpack full of bottles & sippy cups and lots of snacks & water and diapers & wipes. We were gonna be prepared for anything. The train started going and boy did the kids light up. It was a real treat for all of us. The train ride itself is 1.5 hour long. Kinda long for my two active kids, but worth it! About half way to the stockyards the great train robberies took places. A group of desperate desperados dressed in old western garb rode up on horses, shooting guns and stopped the train. They came on board and robbed the train. But actually they gave the kids big "twenty phony dollars" and some official deputy stickers. They were thrilled with the attention. The robbers outside kept ridding around on horse back shooting guns and making a big ruckus. They put on a real good show. Then the train continued on to the stockyards. Once we arrived we ate at a Mexican restaurant, walked around, got ice cream, pet a few horses. Then stood on the side of E. Exchange Avenue to wait for the daily cattle drive. Twice daily there is a cattle drive down E. Exchange. Rain or shine, cold or hot, there is a cattle drive. I've always wanted to take the kids so we finally did. They weren't too thrilled about it, but it was 4:00. And it was 2 hours past nap time. So after the cattle drive, we headed back to get on the train. The train ride back was just as uneventful, tantrams, crying, tired, all you would expect from a very tired, hot and cranker 38 year old man, I mean 3 yo and 1.5 yo. The kids and Brian did really well. It was very hot, the train does not have AC, the windows were open and there was a slight breeze. But it was damn hot. All in all, it was a good day.
I would love to do it again this winter.
The train ride is called "The North Pole Express".
It's a Christmas themed ride. Santa brings the kids a special gift. They can take pictures along the way. Bounce in a bounce house before the ride, take photos with Santa and make a free ornament. That sounds like a fun way to spend the day. I'll make Brian book that trip.
He is such a big boy, he's so excited!
Doesn't she look just adorable in her seat peering out the window?

Robbery's invading the train
Isn't the horse beautiful, look at the spots!
MONEY!
Such nice bandits!
Cooper loved the bad guys! They gave him money and stickers!!
Yeah! Money!!
OOhhh, Mommy look, a bad guy!
Such nice guys!
BANG! BANG!
POW! POW! BANG! BANG!
ooh... what's going on out there?
Check out my deputy badge!
Front of the train
Hanging in the stockyards
Cattle Drive... look at those longhorns. Too Cool!
I don't think I've ever seen any longhorns that close before.


Cooper and Isabella got to ride a 'horse' too!
Bella wanted to have her picture taken with this lady.
Watching a gun fight on the train tracks at Stockyard Stations, waiting on the train to arrive.
Bella wanted to watch/see. So she stood on Brian's shoulders. I was a nervous wreak.

No comments: