Thursday, February 19, 2009

Teacher

I'm not sure what I have posted about in the past, but Isabella HATES one of her church school teachers! Point Blank!

I got a call just a few minutes ago from Ms. Samsal, the main teacher in her class. She asked me if there was something going on in the home that would make Isabella completely defiant. Nope, I got nothing. She went on to tell me that Isabella has been in timeout so much today that she hasn't been able to participate in the activities the other kids are doing. Well, there ya go! She's a Strong-willed child. She has her mind made up before she even starts an activity or does anything. She has her way and there is no other way around it. And making her sit back and watch the other kiddos have fun, that's not helping the problem. I guess, since I'm strong-willed too, I know how to work her. BUT, I think that Ms. S is strong-willed too. When Ms. S isn't at school one day, Isabella has a fabulous day. Ms. Norman tells me how wonderful she was. All last week, Isabella had a fantastic week, she was a peach! Last week, Ms. S want at school. UMM, so are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yep, you are.

Last Monday at bible study we talked about the strong-willed child. This is not just a phase, she will be like this forever! The speaker said not to fight a strong-willed child, if you do and you break that child's will, you will break them forever and that child will not be who God intended them to be. I have a completely different outlook on Isabella's behavior, she is the epitome of ME. I was not broken, close, but not broken. I am who I am because my mother learned how to deal with me. She's got lots more grey hair from it, but she never broke my will. I am who I am today because of the Grace of God. And I am proud of who I am. So, I will not break my child, so Ms. S can have a drama free day. Not gonna happen.

In this class that she is in, there are a few that are still in diapers (mind you, Cooper will be in a diaper forever if potty training doesn't click the first try). Some still suck the passy, some have to have a blankie, some still take baby talk, some have to have their milk before naptime and I know of one that still drinks from a bottle (although I haven't seen it in the drink bin lately). In my humble opinion, my child is a bit advanced for the other children. Isabella had many more words than every other child in her class. And I'm confidient in saying that. She's not your typical 3 year old. Sorry, but she's not.

I decided long ago, when I continued to get bad reports on her daily sheet, that she would not be returning to this MDO program. And thankfully I was able to get her into another church that has many, many classes that if she doesn't fit into the first one she is put in, I'm sure they will move the earth to make sure she is where she is suppose to be.

So, now my debate is should I pull her now, just give them my notice and pull her? I could care less at this point. She's not learning anything, because they keep her in timeout. I could just keep her home for a few months (OMG, what am I thinking?). Or I could put her into more classes at gymnastics school. I'm going to think about this one. I'm completely annoyed each day I pick her up and read her daily report. One of the other mother's has even said to me (she's read the daily report many days) that Ms. S just doesn't like Isabella. And that could be true. If the are both strong-willed, I can completely understand. But I don't want to force Isabella to go to a class where she is the odd man out and left out because she raised her voice, threw a toy or completely threw a fit. Granted, I do think they need to put her in timeout, but honestly timeout doesn't work. And they can't spank, so they are screwed.

The one thing that really gets her going is when I hurt her feelings. When I spank, yell, tell her how "angry" I am with her. She will cry. Especially when she knows she's done wrong before the punishment. So, what all that said, HELP! Any suggestions? I do the very best I know how and I know I'm doing a damn good job of raising my children. They are just strong-willed and I love it!

No comments: